CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 17, 2008

First of all, Prayer



It's been so long since I posted a "Friday post." First it was vacation, then vacation recovery, then just plain forgetfulness. But, I was thinking of it last weekend and then was so gently prodded by a friend, so here we are!

We have had some great nights of ladies prayer lately and I really just have prayer on my heart. Corrie Ten Boom asked, "Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?" Hopefully, what you read here will inspire you to put prayer first and let it guide everything you do.

I read something recently that puts prayer in a great perspective. "The purpose of prayer is not to inform God of our needs, but to invite Him to rule our lives." That is so powerful. We often go to God with a list of wants or needs, like He is a robot waiting to supply our every whim - but, what He is longing for is a relationship with us. When I pray and put Him first, I feel His presence so strong. I want to know that He loves me and that He knows that I love Him.

When we keep our relationship with Him as our focus, it also keeps our prayers from becoming dry, stale or ritualistic. They are alive and fresh each time we pray. They are not magic formulas, either. But when we move to the side and allow God to work in us, He can do mighty things through us and we can see miracles as we surrender to the supernatural.

This is a crazy world we live in. There are NO guarantees, NO promises and NO hope in it. But when I turn my eyes to Him who created the world with His Words, who holds the world in His hands and who ever liveth to make intercession for us, I don't have to worry what is happening in the world around me.

Here's another prayer thought provoker: "Before we can pray 'Thy Kingdom come,' we must be willing to pray 'My kingdom go.'" There's a tough one for lots of us! Once I pray, I need to remember that no matter what, He is in control and knows what is best. Sometimes, we want to live for God, but only by our rules, only if it doesn't require too much personal sacrifice or change and only if I can still do pretty much whatever I want to do. We don't want to let our little "kingdom" go and get ourselves out of the way so that God can truly come in and do His work. (end of sermon! =D) Thankfully, He stays with us every step of the journey.

It truly is a journey. I am a work in progress and I can honestly say that I'm not there yet! That is why prayer is so important. It keeps us focused on the path He has prepared for us, keeps us close to the One who guides our steps, keeps us from letting ourselves get in the way of His will and helps us through each step of our journey.

For those of you who read this regularly, you should know that you are on my daily prayer list! And now, I pray that this post has blessed you and encouraged you to want to spend a little time right now with your Creator. It will not be time wasted!

2 comments:

Tammy

God is so good! Church last night talked about prayer in a very convicting way. Then, I check on your blog and here we go! The Lord is trying to call His people to prayer. Thank you for letting Him speak through you, T! Love you and miss being able to pray with you in person...but I am always praying with and for you in Spirit - His Spirit! :-) Miss you, Tammy

Beth

We have been having wonderful prayer on Tues. nights too!

great blogging!!