CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 6, 2008

Dinner in a Pumpkin

I was looking up some recipes recently on allrecipes.com and came across an interesting idea. Dinner in a Pumpkin. It sounded interesting (I honestly thought that we would probably not care for it) but decided to give it a try because of the uniqueness of it - then I would have something neat to share with my friends! (that means you!!) So, since I am posting about it, you probably guessed - we LOVE it! You really must try this out! It is so fun. Holly actually helped me with this tonight so I could run a couple of errands and she did a great job. Here's what we did. We started with a pumpkin. The recipe called for a 4 lb one - I would say go with about 5-5 1/2. There wasn't quite enough room for all the filling. So, here is our pumpkin:

You have to cut off the top (I did this for Holly!) and scoop out all the insides. Be sure to save the seeds to roast! Then, in a large skillet, combine:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef/turkey

1/3 c. chopped green pepper (didn't have any, so not in this time)

3/4 c. chopped onion

Combine over medium heat until the meat is browned. Then, add:

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 c. soy sauce (or liquid aminos, like we use)

2 Tbsp. Brown sugar

1 4 oz. can mushrooms

1 can cream of chicken soup

2 c. cooked rice (brown is best!!)

Mix this all well and then place inside the pumpkin. Place the lid on the pumpkin and then put the pumpkin on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.

Now, when I first read it, I have to admit that is sounded weird to me. But everything was so good. When you take it out of the oven, the pumpkin is so pretty and browned:

When you scoop it out, be sure to get some of the cooked pumkin too. It adds tons of extra nutrients, has hardly any flavor at all, and makes you feel all good and warm inside knowing how good for you it is! EVERYONE in my house loved this - even Caleb! The girls loved the insides so much, that they want to make it even when it is not fall without the pumpkin. So, I hope you get to try it. Let me know if you do and what you think! Bon appetite!

4 comments:

Paris

That looks SO yummy! I can't wait to try this! I love you too! &hearts

carandavis

what a neat idea! btw, that is a really long stem/stalk on that pumpkin!

Tammy

I gotta quit going on here b/c I feel like a loser! HA! J/K that really sounds like a fun one that even I could try...maybe as a surprise for Bryan. Thanks for sharing your new idea! Love you!

Anonymous

What a nice site!!!! Didn't know you had such a thing! Love you!

Barbara