CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 14, 2011

New Year Check In and Random Thoughts

We are two weeks into the new year and I am wondering, how are you doing?  Did you make resolutions?  Have you heard of and are you doing the "My One Word" challenge? 

I read a church sign the other day that said:

"Many fail by never getting started."


Hmm, that is pretty deep and true!  Have you gotten started?  Then, on the other side of that sign it said:

"Make commitments, not resolutions."

That sounds like a good idea to me!  Resolutions seem to be something we do out of habit these days.  Not that we don't intend to do them, but many things are just thrown out there, often with the best intention, because it is the thing to do - but without full commitment to the thought,and without that, it is in vain.  (Trust me, I know from experience!) 

That being said, though, my family and I did make some resolution/commitments for the new year.  It is our prayer that by the end of the year, these commitments will make us better spiritually, physically and relationally. 


We are also taking the My One Word challenge.  That one is a toughy - choosing one word to summarize something you want to develop over the next year.  (If you want to learn more, you can go to www.myoneword.org)  It could be Faith, Discipline, Connect, Positive, Discover, Obey, etc.  Just a One Word challenge between yourself and God.  I haven't chosen my word yet!  I have it narrowed down to a few, but not quite there - maybe I am afraid of the full commitment to a word!  Maybe I'll let you know when I choose it! 

But, the bottom line is that at the end of the year, I want to be more of the person that God wants me to be and to give my best to Him - even if things are not how I want them to be!  

So, those are my random thoughts two weeks into 2011.  I will leave you with a story I read yesterday {and found to be inspiring} and then leave you to your thoughts!


I Am the New Year
~ author unknown ~


I am the new year. I am an unspoiled page in your book of time.

I am your next chance at the art of living. I am your opportunity to practice what you have learned about life during the last twelve months.

All that you sought and didn’t find is hidden in me, waiting for you to search it but with more determination.

All the good that you tried for and didn’t achieve is mine to grant when you have fewer conflicting desires.

All that you dreamed but didn’t dare to do, all that you hoped but did not will, all the faith that you claimed but did not have—these slumber lightly, waiting to be awakened by the touch of a strong purpose.

I am your opportunity to renew your allegiance to Him who said, "Behold, I make all things new."

2 comments:

~Kimberly~

So True and very Encouraging!
Love to you and your whole family!
~Kimi

Kim @ In Our Write Minds

Somehow we seem to think that it's up to us to "make things new" with our resolutions, but truly, there's only One who makes things new. Thanks for the reminder.