CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 2, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude Days 1 & 2

Contentment is a notion that has truly become foreign in our culture. I know how to be content and grateful when things are going well, the bills are all paid, the freezer is well stocked, etc. But is that what true contentment is? Or, is it as Paul said in Philippians 4:12 – “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. In whatever state you find yourself be ye content.” True contentment is not affected by circumstances - it means simply that we know Who is in control even when everything around us seems to be spiraling out of control - and trusting Him with the outcome.

I have decided to try my best to post something each day between now and Thanksgiving that I am truly thankful for as a way to keep me focused on the truly important things. We are coming into a very busy season and my calendar is already full of so many things that my family and I treasure doing to celebrate. While these things are good and meaningful, so often they too can crowd out our ability to be thankful - in all things! Before I start out (and catch up for yesterday!), I want to start with this little poem that helps put things in perspective:

I am thankful for...

bills to pay because it means I have financial provision.

dirty dishes because it means I have food to eat.

taxes because it means I am employed.

dirty laundry because it means I have clothes to wear.

the mess to clean up after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

the pool pump that needs fixing and the lawn that needs mowing, because it means I have a home.

for this bathroom, complete with all the splattered mirrors, soggy, grimy towels and dirty lavatory - they are so convenient.

the power bill, because it means I am warm .

the space I find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I can walk.

the person who sings off-key behind me in church, because it means I can hear.

our government, because it means we have freedom of speech.

the alarm that goes off in the morning because it means I am alive.

unmade beds - they were so warm and comfortable last night.

even for that slamming screen door. My kids are healthy and able to run and play.

a loving Savior who forgives my sins and makes me whole!

He has richly blessed my family.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 1 Thess. 5:16-18 (ESV)


Sometimes, just looking at things from a different perspective makes all the difference!


So, Day 1. I am thankful to know that if I fear God, I do not need to fear anything else because:


1. The Bible will still have all the answers.

2. Prayer will still work.

3. The Holy Spirit will still move.

4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.

5. There will still be singing of praises to God.

6. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.

7. There will still be room at the Cross.

8. Jesus will still love you.

9. Jesus will still save the lost.


It is so good to know the goodness of God and His blessings. Nothing that happens in this world can change that!


Day 2 - The blessing of my husband. Through good and bad, ups and downs, twists and turns, we make each other laugh, comfort each other, forgive each other, and love each other through it all. God truly provided that man that He knew was just right for me.


Anyone interested in coming along on this journey with me? Let's celebrate the season by truly expressing our gratitude and learning to be content - no matter what life throws at us!


1 comments:

Melissa Lampert

I am grateful for the peace that TRULY surpasses ALL understanding. Imagine, not knowing our heavenly Father and finding out for certain your husband is getting deployed, then two weeks later finding out your mom has cancer. In a world without our Father, it could turn someones world upside down. With his strength, it is all a mere bump in the road! Thank you Jesus for loving me! (and thank you Tammy for letting me share!) Love you!