CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 4, 2009

Homecooked Dinner - Recipes Included!

If you know me at all, you know how much I love home cooked food! There is just nothing to compare to making things at home and letting your kids have a hand in the process. Holly and MaKenna have become quite the little chefs! Well, tonight we made a yummy dinner - Penne and Chicken with Garlic Cream Sauce, veggies, Whole Wheat French Bread rolls and French Silk Pie for dessert - and I decided to share the recipes with you - you have to try this out!

Whole Wheat French Bread Rolls

1 1/2 c. warm water
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
2 tbsp. white sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
4 c. flour - (I used fresh milled hard white wheat)

In a large bowl, stir together the water, sugar and yeast. Let stand about 10 minutes. Add the oil, salt and flour. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead til smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough inside and turn to coat. Cover and put in a warm spot til doubled, about an hour. Deflate the dough and divide either into about 16 balls for rolls or in half for loaves. I did 2 loaves. Place them onto greased pans, cover and let rise til double, about 40 minutes. Bake for 18-20 minutes in preheated 400 oven or til golden.

Here is a picture of my bread:



Penne and Chicken with Garlic Cream Sauce

4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
12 oz. penne pasta (I used whole wheat)
2 zucchini halved and sliced
2 c. mushrooms (or one small can)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 c. chicken broth
2 tbsp. flour
8 oz. cream cheese
2-3 tbsp. parmesan or romano cheese

Place the chicken in a skillet and lightly salt and pepper it, then saute it til done, but do not overcook. Or, you can grill it. Cook pasta according to package and drain Return to pan, cover and keep warm. In a large skillet, cook zucchini, mushrooms and garlic in oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or til veggies are crisp tender. Add veggies to pasta. In the same skillet, whisk together the broth and four, then add cream cheese. Cook and stir til smooth and bubbly, then add the parmesan and cook another minute. Add to the pasta and toss. Cut chicken into bite size pieces or strips and arrange over the pasta. Sprinkle with parsley and more cheese if desired.



Add whatever veggie you like - we had a mix of brocolli, cauliflower, baby carrots and squash. Mmmmmm, so yummy!! Now, for dessert!

French Silk Pie

1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. white sugar
6-8 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
1 9" pie crust (your choice - graham, chocolate or regular - we use homemade graham)

Cream the butter and sugar - only enough to mix them together - do not overmix! Blend in the cocoa - start with 6 tbsp. and taste. You want it slightly stronger that you want the completed pie to taste. Then add the vanilla. Beating at high speed, add one egg at a time and beat until thoroughly incorporated, about 5 minutes. Keep whipping until light and fluffy. Spread in the pie shell of choice and refrigerate. Top with whipped cream.



Oh, my - this was a yummy evening! Now, I better get back to work - hope you enjoy this as much as we did!

12 comments:

Journey to Lilly!

mmmm how yummy! I found your blog from Kimmie Weisener's blog. I couldn't resist commenting to tell you I am going to try this menu out for dinner tomorrow :)
Thanks, Kim

Beth

I made some black bean burgers this week end. You would love them! Everything looked yummy, any leftovers?

Paris

Yummy! That pasta sounds really good! Do you bake the pie at all?

Tammy

No - I meant to stress that about the pie, that it is NOT baked at all. I know, with the eggs, it is kind of weird, but if you have ever eaten french silk pie at any time, you have eaten raw eggs, cause that is how it is made! I make sure to use really good, organic eggs and blend for a really long time - I think it makes me feel better if the extra heat from the beaters friction has a long time to interact with the eggs - does that count as heat???!!!

Tammy

Beth - where is the recipe???? Do tell! And yes, we did have leftovers. I try to make a meal last several days over here!

Anonymous

Your bread looked professionally made. And your French Silk Pie looked sinful. I know what we are having for dinner next week. Thanks so much for taking the time to share these wonderful recipes.

~Kimberly~

Ok, I'm gonna let you know...when I come to see you in 12 days I would love to have this for dinner! Or we can just go to Panera Bread. Just so I'm with you! I can't wait.

~Kimberly~

Was that a taco pan you baked the french bread on? :)

Tammy

Kimi - I will make you anything you want or go anywhere with you - just getting to be together will make it all fun! BTW - the pan is a french bread pan that I bought years ago from the Breadbeckers. I'll show you when you come. Love you!!

yui

Hi! I'm behind you.
Good luck!

Tammy

I'm tellin' ya you need to start a catering business or something with the girls!! That way you'd be getting paid to do what you love...that looked so good that my mouth was actually watering while I was reading about it.

~Kimberly~

Happy Mother's Day Tammy!
Love you~Kimi