CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 20, 2009

Turn off Your TV Week


Found on a wall in Glasgow, Scotland
Photo taken by Brian Aslak Gylte from Norway

Did you know April 20-26th is TV Turnoff Week? I love this concept!!! Now, in our house, we celebrate TV turnoff 365 days a year, but for many families this week could be an opportunity to shut off the television and do something other than watch the screen.

Some fast television facts:

  • Number of 30-second commercials seen in a year by an average child: 20,000
  • Number of minutes per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children: 38.5
  • Number of minutes per week that the average child watches television: 1,680 (compare with the above statistic - so sad!) (italics mine)
  • Percentage of children ages 6-17 who have TV’s in their bedrooms: 50
  • Percentage of day care centers that use TV during a typical day: 70
  • Hours per year the average American youth spends in school: 900 hours
  • Hours per year the average American youth watches television: 1500
  • Percentage of Americans that regularly watch television while eating dinner: 66

source: http://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html

Deciding to not watch TV was an easy choice for our family. We didn’t want our children bombarded by commercials promoting sugary cereals, fast food, or cheap, made in China toys. We also didn’t like that fact that even if we were watching a “good” show inevitably a preview for an upcoming show (one that we would never allow our children to watch) could be seen during the commercial breaks. Not to mention it became harder and harder to find “good” shows. We decided to make our job as parents much easier and just quit watching television altogether.

Before you begin to wonder about us, we do have a TV! We watch videos and DVD's, but in doing so, we get to choose the program and we don't have to deal with the commercials and unexpected images associated with watching TV. We still enjoy family movie night once in a while and when our kids are sick sometimes they watch movies to pass the time.

Usually we are so busy we don’t have time even for movies. When the weather is nice I would much rather be outside than sitting in front of the television. We love to read, craft, listen to Adventures in Odyssey and Your Story Hour and play games. These types of activities encourage creativity and force my kids to interact with each other. I want my children to be able to get along and play together, not be able to watch a movie together - that is easy.

Now, I realize that what works for our family may not work for another's, so this post is not meant to be judgmental in any way! But, the statistics being what they are, why not try the challenge, turn off the TV and see what you can do with your family this week!

BTW, what is your opinion on television - love it, hate it, own it, live without it? Movies, cable, commercials? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A Cool Quote:

"I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on I go into the library and read a good book."
--Julius "Groucho" Marx

4 comments:

Paris

this is a good topic!

Since David and I got married, we haven't had TV! It really wasn't missed until recently, when we were living at the hotel, and there was a TV with cable. It was only 60 channels or so, but wow! It was ALWAYS there and kind of a fun way to pass the time.. I miss it more than David does, and we aren't getting it in our new house. I wish there was a way to just choose channels and programs that you want to see, and then filter the commercials because I do love watching home improvement shows and History channel/Animal Planet documentaries! Maybe someday that will be possible!

Tammy

I agree! One day a cable guy came to the house and asked what he could do to get our business. I said that if he would let me pick just the channels that I wanted and not be subject to commercials, I would be happy to be a customer. He said "that is never going to happen" and I told him that I would not be a customer then! I too love the home improvement shows and cooking shows, but not at the price it pays in my kids!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

We have been TV free for almost a year and I have to say that there are a few shows that I do miss (Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, Semi-homemade) but for the most part getting rid of the TV has been nothing but a blessing. We do watch movies (we have netflix) and have a family movie night once a week (right now we are watching the Muppet Show Season 1). I'm glad that we turned off the TV for good and I have no intention of turning it back on.

Tammy

It has been the best decision we ever made and we will not go back. It's been over twelve years now and we agree completely with your reasons for shutting it off. A friend of ours who has a TV at home and came to stay with us for eight days said that she never felt so clean and spiritual after having no TV to distract her from the Lord or her kids. That was confirmation to me that we chose the right way! Love you...Red