CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 21, 2008

DPP Day 21 - Giving the Gift of Life

(Warning: This blog may not be for the weak at heart! Read on with caution if you have a sensitive tummy!)

Today was truly a unique day in many ways. Pastor preached the most awesome sermon this morning that was truly prophetic in nature and spoke additional encouragement and hope in the promises of God toward us, no matter what the circumstance. I continue to rest in Him and trust in His provision.

After service, Mark and I went to give blood. I know that may sound weird - 4 days before Christmas, a busy weekend and Sunday services and we went to give blood? Well, first off, we are long overdue - it has been since May and I couldn't even give then. I tend toward anemia and if your iron is low that day, they won't take your blood. So, second, we have received multiple calls that the supply in our area is critically low and with the holidays approaching, they are trying to stock up. Those are the 2 main reasons, but to boot, they gave each of us a $10 Publix gift card for giving - whooo hoooo! Besides all of that, Christmas is about the gift of life - God's son, His life for ours, eternal life, etc - so how appropriate to give blood now. And I was able to give today - barely!

Well, when we finally got started and she began to insert the needle, I decided to look away. Then, I heard her say, uh oh. Now, if someone is sticking a sharp object into your arm, you DO NOT want to hear them say uh oh! So, I turned to look toward her and saw that my blouse (came straight from church, remember?) was splattered with blood! For some reason, when she inserted the needle, my blood thought there was a party and decided to have a time! Well, the lady felt terrible, I felt bad for her and was a little concerned about my shirt - one of my favorites! But, I know the secret of blood stains and peroxide and when we came home, we (me and Jesus) worked a miracle on it and it is as good as new! And I was ok as well! Everything went fine after that little event! Oh, a day in the life of Tammy DeVore!

Me giving blood - notice the white napkin across my tummy? The nurse felt so bad and didn't want the "mess" in the picture!


Mark - hadn't gotten started yet. He actually went through a different process where the machine they hooked him up to drew his blood and then right in front of us separated his platelets and plasma from the red blood cells - this made the blood able to be used much sooner.


Then, tonight, we had another wonderful service. Pastor had the children come up to the front and he sat there with them and read them the Christmas story from the Bible. That was such a special treat!

The first picture is a little dark and the second a little blurry, but I hope you get the idea and can see Caleb - oh how I long for a good camera!




This truly is the most wonderful time of the year - to remember the gift given to us that first Christmas morning.

2 comments:

~Kimberly~

You guys are 'Jim-Dandies!' Giving blood-how inspiring!
I absolutely love Bro Williams reading the Christmas story for the children. What a treat for them and for him. How special.
Love you

Tammy

HA! We have been talking about finding out where they give blood around here...so that was funny that you and Mark just did that. Something about Christmas that makes us want to give as well especially when the Bible says that the Life is in the Blood. Y'all are so wonderful. I was going to mention peroxide and then you had it on the post...how could I have doubted you? I'm glad that you were able to give. Love you, Tammy