CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Couple of Pumpkin Recipes

I just love fall and everything that goes along with it, especially the baking!  Making wholesome and yummy food is something that I have always enjoyed doing for my family - at any time of the year.  It feels good to serve them things that I have put my time, effort and love into creating for them.  When I am able to combine nutrition with fun things that they will consider a treat, I feel as if I have hit the jackpot!  That said, I bake pretty much all year, but I love using pumpkins and apples when they come in season.  Not long ago, I read about a recipe on GoodLife Eats called Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal.  We love oatmeal when it gets cold and pretty much love anything with pumpkin, so I decided to give it a try.  While it wasn't cold here by some standards, we were waking up to upper 50's and low 60's several days in a row.  After waking up to 79+ for weeks on end, that was a huge difference that sent shivers up our spine!  It was amazing, actually!  Anyway, the oatmeal was so good that I think you will love it, so here's our version of the recipe to try!

1 cup old fashioned oats - not quick cooking
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2-3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp butter, softened
3/4-1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup milk (we used almond - use your favorite!)

Topping:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tsp. softened butter
2 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 375* and grease 4 individual ramekins - then set them aside.  Combine the oats and the salt.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 ramekins.  Place the ramekins on a baking sheet (this makes it easier to get it in and out of the oven) and bake at 375* for about 10 minutes.  Now, while that is cooking, combine the ingredients for the topping.  After the oatmeal has baked, remove and divide the topping evenly over each one, then bake for an additional 7 minutes.  Cool for 5 minutes before serving.  We added an extra splash of almond milk to it before we ate it, just to add to the creaminess.

That's it!  I had never had a baked oatmeal before, so I was a little nervous.  And I must admit that the first bite was different, as far as comparing the texture of regular oatmeal to this.  But, it was intriguing enough to go back for another and before I knew it, my ramekin was empty!  It was not too sweet, but had just the right combination of hearty, autumn yummy-ness to make this a definite keeper!  Here's what ours looked like (before consumption!)


You owe it to yourself to try this!

Another of our new favorite fall recipes is Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They are denser than a regular cookie - more like a scone or cake-like.  You have to try these too!  Here's what you do:

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 cup pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 300* - not a typo!  You will bake them this low to get them just right.  Next, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, pumpkin and vanilla.  Mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.  Add the chocolate chips and mix thoroughly.  Scoop cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet ( I make them kind of smallish).  Bake at 300* around 22-24 minutes (a little less if smaller).  Remove from the oven, let sit for a minute or so and then place on a rack to cool.  Oh, and try not to eat too many at once! 

Well, I have some more, but that is enough to get you started - so get to the kitchen and cook up some good things for your family!

4 comments:

Unknown

My mouth is watering! I love pumpkin ANYTHING! My mother made amazing pumpkin bread from scratch, no written recipe and she used molasses so it was rich and dark orange...Makes me feel "fall" all over!

Tammy

Me too - about loving pumpkin anything! I bet that bread was amazing! I love baking in general, but there is something about pumpkin in the fall - mmm, mmm good!

Melanie Big

All about pumpkin recipe is delicious. Super indulging is the perfect words. I should try the bread pumpkin. It looks like great in the photo. I bet it taste like heaven.

Melanie Schoenhut

Yummy! I can't wait to try this one. My kids will surely love to eat this kind of recipes.