CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Measuring Up

Well, the summer has flown by while we busied ourselves with the business of life. I have been wondering the past few days as I prepare to start back to school with my kids if we did the things that we wanted to do with our summer. So, here are some comparisons.

Some of the things we wanted to do:

*Organize the house - school things, movies, bedrooms, closets, - ALL of it!
*Make - skirts, purses, aprons, quilts, etc.
*Complete lesson plans for the upcoming school year - all subjects for the whole year.
*Complete Holly's first High School Transcript.
*Grow a garden.
*Complete portfolios for the school year we just finished.
*Scrapbooks caught up.
*Go to the beach.
*Blog.
*Read.
*Get ahead in some school subjects - especially reading with Caleb.

Some of the things we did:

*Organized some things - definitely not all that I would have liked, but we did make progress!
*Made 2 skirts, one apron, 2 quilts and 0 purses - not exactly what we hoped for, but we made progress!!
*Completed lesson plans for the first month in 2 subjects - progress seems to be the theme here!
*We completed the transcript - WOOP WOOP!!
*We planted a small garden and grew: grape and cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, green peppers and watermelon. Our beefsteak tomatoes tried to grow, but caterpillars loved them and not one of them was spared. So far we have harvested about 5 green peppers, with more still growing. There are 3 beautiful watermelon on the 10 foot long vine that I can't wait to eat. The squash and zucchini plants grew big, flowered gorgeous flowers and then DIED!!! No harvest there! We also planted sunflowers and morning glories from seed that were so pretty. So, we did not get the full amount that we would have liked, but are thankful for the PROGRESS that we did make and the yummy goodness we could eat from our own garden. We are going to be planting more here in the next couple of weeks, too, so we'll see how phase 2 goes!
*Portfolios were completed in a very timely manner!
*Scrapbooking - we are NOT caught up, but meeting with a great group of ladies every week has certainly helped me stay focused, motivated and inspired. The girls help me and we are progressing at a great rate!
*We were able to go to the beach a few times, though not as much as the girls would have liked!
*Did some blogging.
*Did some reading.
*Fell behind in school!
*Spent MUCH time at Florida Hospital while my dad was in and out and then in for Aortic Valve replacement surgery. This actually took up the last almost 2 months of our summer, which explains the falling behind in some of the above things!
*Went on several field trips with great friends - to the lighthouse, a nature preserve, the beach.
*Completed 13 weeks of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.
*Had KC all summer!
*Lots of other misc. odds and ends that would bore you and tire me to mention!

Overall, we really had an awesome summer. Spending time with friends and family, being together, working hard for Jesus - these are the things that make our life complete. No, we didn't do everything we wanted to do and only made progress in others, but we choose to see the good in those things and be positive. And isn't progress really the theme of all of our lives? We are just works in progress - thank God that He doesn't give up on me when I don't meet His expectations. He choses instead to see me for what I can someday be by His grace. How can I do any less for my seemingly important projects that are only temporal?

"Be content with what you have, for God has said, "Never
will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So say with
confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."

- Hebrews 13:5,6

AMEN!!!

So, how was your summer? Did you get to do the things you love the most? I hope that no matter what, you are able to see the good in all things - it just helps keep you happier!

3 comments:

Beth

I didn't have a list of to-do things for summer....but did get some things accomplished.
1. you can stretch a dollar if you try hard enough
2. you actually do have something to eat when you think you have nothing to eat.
3.you can use beans in soups,on rice, in tortillas, for dips, as burgers, burritos.......
4.beans are a magical fruit...just sayin'
5.God will supply all your needs...
He always has, always will.

Tammy

Beth - that is so true! And beans are definitely a staple in our diet around here - they are cheap, they go far and they are good for you too. What more could you ask for???!!

Livin' with the North in the South

I wish I had got that much accomplished but there is still hope I have 3 days before we start back to school.ha!ha!