CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 27, 2009

Thankfulness and Provision

Sometimes, life gets so busy that it is easy to overlook things that are truly important. When things are busy, I find myself feeling the need to do MORE instead of less. Am I the only one with this problem?? I am not even talking about outside commitments - often, it is just things in the house or forgotten projects that suddenly need to get finished. I do work best under pressure! But, the other problem that I have is forgetting the things that I am truly thankful for and instead, complaining. Last night at prayer, the Lord gently reminded me, though:

"Do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars in the world. Hold firmly the message of life." (Philippians 2:12-16)


He led me staight to that verse and I immediately had to ask forgiveness. Why is it so easy to complain and so hard to be thankful? So, I asked Him to help me learn to be more thankful and to search for opportunities to express it. He brought things to my mind that I think I have read in an e-mail or something before. I can't remember it exactly, but it had things to this effect:


When I have a sink full of dirty dishes, I will not complain, for it means that I have food to eat.


When I have too much laundry, I will be thankful for it means I have clothes to wear.


When the bills come due, I will be thankful that I have electricity, water and a roof over my head.


When my children are underfoot, I will be thankful for the joy they bring to my life.


Well, you get the idea. We can choose to look at anything as a problem or a blessing, but the choice is ours alone. I am going to try my best to learn to find reasons to be thankful for even the troubles in my life. Honestly, the troubles are usually, if not always, the times that I learn the most about myself and that I see God work in ways I would never have imagined. All the hard times that I have been through have molded me into the person I am today - for better or worse! How can I not be thankful for troubles when they are the blueprints for my future?


Here are some things I am thankful for right now:


1. My faith, the Word, my Lord
2. My family
3. An awesome church family
4. Old friends
5. New friends
6. Florida in February, March, April, May, October, November and December
7. Music
8. Books
9. Homecooked food
10. Homeschooling
11. Provision
12. Feeling the presence of God
13. My home
14. Pictures
15. Love
16. Holiness
17. Grace
18. Mercy
19. Truth
20. Love
21. Forgiveness


One last thought. Pastor preached this last Sunday and it is too good and even applicable to not put here. He recounted the passages of scripture when Abraham was commanded to sacrifice Isaac - his son and the promised seed. Can you imagine hearing God command you to take your only son (or child, or any of your children for that matter) and sacrifice them to Him? Really think about it. We know the story and we know that God solved the problem, but Abraham didn't know that. He could only trust that God would supply and he even said as much to his son. When Issac asked where the sacrifice was for the offering, Abraham only said that the Lord would provide Himself a sacrifice. You most likely know the story - Abraham lay his son on the altar and prepared to sacrifice him when the Lord stopped him and showed him a ram in the bushes - He truly did provide a sacrifice! The way Pastor said it was amazing - when we are going up one side of the mountain with problems and worries, not knowing where the answer will come from or how God will provide, He is sending His answer up the other side - even though we can't see it, it is there! How thankful I am to know that He takes care of me - not the government or the economy or the leaders of this world, or the banks, etc. He truly is Jehovah Jirah! So, if I feel tempted to complain that I don't see the end to my situation, I will remember that the answer is coming up the other side of my mountain, if only I am ready for it!

0 comments: