CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Some of the Joys of Homeschooling!

This month we have done some quite interesting things - other than all of the baking that is adding inches as I speak! For starters, MaKenna and Caleb have planted some herbs for me in little clay pots. They were so excited!


Here is the dirt getting ready for the pots:

Adding seeds and dirt to the pot:



Add the stakes and wait for growth:


After just a few days, here is what we saw:




Then, after a few more days:



They are growing basil, parsley, cilantro, chives and thyme. I can't wait to use some of it!

In other adventures... Science has been elctricity and magnetism, so we got to learn about fuses and do this fun experiment - thankful that the house didn't burn down!

Our experiment involved using an instrument we built for electrical charges and using steel wool as a fuse. We had to basically ignite the steel wool with a charge of electricity and see what happened. Thankfully, the wool acted as a fuse and "shut down" when it got too hot - otherwise, my hands might have looked like our marshmallows!

Trying to get a spark:



Ignite!:


Oh, for joy!


We have also done some experiments using static electricity:
Homeschooling has so much to offer - I couldn't have this kind of fun with my kids otherwise! Add that to my thankful list - getting to be with my kids everyday and we still love each other!

2 comments:

Beth

what no wheat grass?

Tammy

How cool. I think ours would freeze if we tried it, even inside! We are getting a lot of snow today...about 3 to 5 inches. It's so beautiful! Wish you were here to enjoy it with us. Love you, Tammy